DANANG TO PHONG NHA
Ride the Hai Van Pass, explore coast, mountains, and jungle, visit the DMZ, and finish in Phong Nha National Park.
HO CHI MINH TRAIL TOUR ITINERARY:
Meet at 9:00 am for full tour briefing. Have your passport, rider’s licence, International Driver’s Permit and 3 month visa for Vietnam ready to enable the authorisation for you to ride legally in Vietnam. You will then be introduced to your Royal Enfield Himalayan. There will be time to enjoy a Vietnamese coffee and the rest of the day to explore before meeting up at 6:00 pm for dinner and drinks.
Day 1 Da Nang / Hoi An to Hue (Approx. 250 km)
We’ll follow the Cam Le River out of the City into open countryside, then head up into winding mountain roads to see small hill tribe villages and untouched jungle. Next is a ride north on the historic Ho Chi Minh Trail with sweeping bends through jungle-covered valleys and high mountains. We’ll have a local style lunch in the A Shau Valley near the notorious Hamburger Hill, and then follow the curves and mountain passes down towards the coast. Finally, we’ll take the small back roads into Hue city, past the giant tombs of the last emperors of Vietnam and finish the day looking out over the city from the rooftop pool of our hotel.
Day 2 Hue to Lao Bao (Approx. 240 km)
Taking the small back roads out of Hue city, we’ll cross the beautiful Tam Giang Lagoon before following the coast through small fishing villages and aqua-farming ponds. We’ll then enjoy a local-style lunch at Vinh Moc and have a chance to visit the incredible underground tunnel network at Vinh Moc village. The entire village lived underground for 8 years to escape the American bombing! A truly amazing place. Next, is a visit the 17th Parallel Marker where you can see the famous Hien Luong Bridge before taking Route 9 past the remains of many US Bases and into the mountains and cross the DMZ itself. Then we’ll have a short ride to Lao Bao, where you can visit the local market and see all sorts of ‘questionable’ items that are to be found making their way across the border.
Day 3 Lao Bao to Phong Nha (Approx. 250 km)
The day starts with a visit to the Khe Sanh Combat Base. The longest battle of all the wars in Vietnam took place here and we can see tanks, helicopters, and planes still sitting on the runway as well as a small museum. Next, we’ll join the Ho Chi Minh Trail West road. One of the best roads in Asia for bikers, this road should be on everyone’s bucket list. We’ll then ride through the coffee plantations before climbing an 1100 meter mountain pass covered in untouched jungle. In the seemingly endless mountains and jungle, you’ll find small wooden stilt house villages where the tribes live a peaceful, traditional lifestyle. As we come to the start of the giant limestone Karst formation mountains we can stop for lunch in a small hill tribe town. After carrying on through more mountains, more views and more amazing riding, we’ll finally enter Phong Nha National Park, a UNESCO Heritage area of natural beauty. There, we’ll follow the historic Victory Road down to the river and finish at the hotel.
Customise Your Own Tour Date
3 Day Tour – Ho Chi Minh Trail, Hue and Phong Nha Summary & Pricing
- Start: Da Nang
- Finish: Phong Hha
- Distance: Approx. 740 kms
- Motorcycle: Royal Enfield Himalayan (410cc)
- 1 Rider / 1 Bike / 1 Room: From USD 593.00 approx AUD 915.00 per person.
- 2 Riders / 2 Bikes / 1 Room: From USD 543.00 approx AUD 835.00 per person.
- Price for Pillion Passenger – From USD 420.00 approx AUD 646.00 per person
- Price for a private tour – One person only – From USD 743.00 approx AUD 1,145.00
Details and approximate conversion as at 23 February 2020.
- 2 Nights accommodation
- Experienced English-speaking tour guide
- Good quality, top condition motorbike
- All Meals while on tour
- Snacks, water & soft drinks while on tour
- First aid kit
- Accommodation fees during tour
- Entry fees, tolls and other ‘on the road’ fees
- Waterproof jacket & pants (if required)
- 15L dry bag (if required)
- Pick up & return to hotel (or airport)
- Adventure & excitement
- Groups of 6 or more include support van
- Groups of 8 or more include tour medic
What can be added to your tour: (Please contact us for pricing)
- Private room – our standard price is based on twin room
- Support Van – if not already included
- Helmet (EU or DOT Standard certified)
- Motorbike Jacket – Lightweight, mesh style – with back, elbow & shoulder protection
- Lightweight motorbike gloves
- Pre & Post tour accommodation – we can assist with hotel recommendations
What you need to provide:
- Appropriate riding clothing – no open toe footwear
- Alcoholic drinks (if you enjoy)
- Personal Travel Insurance
- Motorcycle Licence
- International Driving Permit
- Personal expenses
- Visa – as required
- Smiles & laughs